In response to attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, an additional 1,000 U.S. troops are being sent to the Middle East, Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced Monday. The U.S. says Iran is behind the attacks, and "hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups ... threaten United States personnel and interests across the region," Shanahan said. These troops, who will join 1,500 other soldiers sent to the region last month after similar tanker attacks, are "for defensive purposes to address air, naval, and ground-based threats in the Middle East," he added. Iran said that it will soon exceed the 300 kg of low-enriched uranium it can retain under its 2015 nuclear deal. On Tuesday, President Trump called Iran's actions "very minor."

Scroll for 5 things you
need to know now