Tip of the week...
Dishwasher buttons decoded
• Quick clean will adequately sanitize items that weren’t very dirty anyway—like water or wine glasses and plates you just purchased at a yard sale.
• Heat dry should be on when you expect the machine to dry the plates with its heater elements. But not all machines do this well, and you’ll get better results if you can crack the door open just after the rinse cycle ends.
• Air dry keeps automatic drying from starting, so it’s the button to hit if you plan to crack the door. You’ll be cutting electricity use by 15 to 50 percent.
• Sani-rinse or Sani-wash boosts water temperature until it’ll kill even stubborn germs.
• Rinse and hold spritzes the dishes to prevent food from drying on. It’s useful if you like to fill the dishwasher before running a full cycle.
• Control lock stops and drains the machine when you need to open the door midcycle. Source:CNET.com
And for those who have everything...
If the only thing that’s kept you from buying a submarine was the complexity of the controls, “it’s time to get your checkbook ready.” The Undersea Aquahoverer makes navigating underwater as easy as driving a car, because it’s designed to hover in place automatically when not being directed by either driver. Created by Hammacher Schlemmer, the craft can operate at depths to 400 feet and has six ducted propellers that’ll move it in any direction. If you spot a shipwreck or interesting marine animal, you can chat with your co-pilot through a built-in intercom system. $1,500,000, hammacher.com Source:HiConsumption.com
For making moving easier
• Sortly helps you keep track of what’s packed inside every box. Snap a photo of each item before it’s sealed away, then print custom labels with QR codes that can be scanned to reveal the boxes’ contents.
• Unpakt lets you shop for the best rate among movers. Enter a destination, calculate load size, and you’ll see several options.
• Moved lets you hand over the details of a move to a personal assistant, who’ll arrange for movers, cleaning, storage, and insurance. The concierge service itself is free.
• Flip makes subletting easy, allowing you to create an Airbnb-like listing and addressing most of the challenges for your landlord.
• Ghostruck, Bellhops, and Dolly are appmanaged moving services that each operate in select major cities. Bellhops employs local college students. Ghostruck connects you with trucks or partially empty trucks that are already out on jobs.