×
dangerous
August 14, 2019

Amid the firestorm over Universal's The Hunt that would eventually result in the film's cancellation, the executives and filmmakers involved reportedly faced death threats.

Universal's "internal security force became involved" last week as executives at the studio and The Hunt's filmmakers were having their lives threatened through email and social media, The Hollywood Reporter reports. This followed an Aug. 6 report on the film's plot, which is said to have revolved around red-state "deplorables" hunted by liberal elites for sport, although the trailer suggests the conservatives are likely the heroes.

The studio had already decided to pull advertising for The Hunt in the wake of two mass shootings, and it faced pressure to scrap the movie entirely, especially on Fox News. President Trump last week attacked Hollywood movies as "dangerous" and the seemed to go after The Hunt specifically, tweeting about an unnamed "movie coming out" that was "made in order to inflame and cause chaos."

Even prior to all of this outrage, some executives at Universal reportedly "had reservations" about The Hunt as far back as last year, and a test screening was reportedly held last week during which some viewers "were again expressing discomfort with the politics" of the film. The Reporter writes that Universal was "reluctant to cave to the outrage," but that it ultimately did so after deciding that in the wake of the mass shootings, the film was "so toxic, it wasn't worth the headaches."

But it sounds like by the time Trump was calling out the movie, it had already been called off, with IndieWire reporting the decision to scrap the film's September release came prior to the president's tweets.

As to whether The Hunt will ever actually come out in any form, that remains unclear, although Universal has pulled all trailers from YouTube. Still, the Reporter writes that "sources in the international film community say they are still interested in releasing it." Brendan Morrow

July 10, 2019

Fox News host Tucker Carlson is under fire for a recent segment about Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.), which a CNN panel on Wednesday tore into as "racist" and "dangerous."

Carlson on his show on Tuesday went after Omar, who came to the United States with her family at a young age amid Somalia's civil war, CNN reports. The Fox News host accused Omar of having "undisguised contempt for the United States and for its people" and said that she's "living proof that the way we practice immigration has become dangerous to this country."

Omar fired back at Carlson on Twitter, labeling him a "racist fool."

Carlson's segment drew backlash on Wednesday including from a CNN panel, with Alisyn Camerota criticizing his comments as "dangerous," while John Berman, amid a discussion of the segment, suggested some were attempting to "create intellectual depth to what, to many, just is a racist comment," Mediaite reports. "A flat out racist comment, or offensive comment, suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed in the country."

President Trump weighed in to this controversy on Wednesday morning, retweeting a post from conservative commentator Mark Levin that read, "Once again, CNN comes to the defense of rabid anti-Semite Ilhan Omar." Watch Carlson's original comments via Media Matters for America below. Brendan Morrow

See More Speed Reads