Nikolas Cruz has confessed to killing 17 people Wednesday at a high school in Parkland, Florida, The Associated Press reported Thursday. Cruz reportedly made the confession to investigating authorities after making his first court appearance earlier Thursday.
Cruz's confession was detailed in court documents for a probable cause hearing, The Washington Post said. In them, Cruz is quoted as telling investigators that he "began shooting students that he saw in the hallways and on school grounds" at his former school, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.
In the documents, Cruz explained that he had extra ammunition concealed in his backpack for his weapon, a semiautomatic AR-15 rifle. He also said that he decided to rid himself of his gun and ammunition vest so that he could leave the school with the hordes of evacuating students and evade detection by authorities.
On Wednesday, a gunman entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, and killed 17 people with a semiautomatic rifle. The suspected shooter is 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, who was a former student at the school.
During his time at Douglas, Cruz was reportedly suspended for having bullets in his backpack. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told reporters Wednesday that Cruz was expelled last year for "disciplinary reasons." Teachers at his former high school had reportedly been warned not to let Cruz on campus after his expulsion, and a former classmate told the Miami Herald that "from past experiences, he seemed like the kind of kid who would do something like this."
In recent months, Cruz had been living with the family of a friend from his old high school, after his adoptive mother Lynda passed away in November. His adoptive father, Roger, had died of a heart attack more than 10 years ago, CNN reported. A lawyer for the family that Cruz had been living with told The Washington Post that while Cruz seemed to struggle with depression, he did not exhibit any obvious violent tendencies.
Authorities, however, found two Instagram accounts believed to be Cruz's. Images on the accounts featured knives as well as an array of firearms, which the poster had described in a caption as his "arsenal." Former classmates of Cruz reportedly unfollowed him on Instagram because they were disturbed by the content he posted.
Additionally, a YouTube account posting under the name Nikolas Cruz commented on a video last September, saying, "I'm going to be a professional school shooter." This comment was reported to the FBI by another YouTube user, BuzzFeed News reported, but the investigation apparently fizzled out. Authorities said that Cruz obtained the semiautomatic AR-15 that he reportedly used to carry out the shooting legally, after passing a background check. Kelly O'Meara Morales
CNN's Alisyn Camerota just interviewed the Holocaust denier running for Congress in Illinois. It did not go well.
Arthur Jones is a Nazi, says the Illinois Republican Party. Unfortunately, Jones is also the only Republican running to represent the state's third congressional district.
Because he is essentially guaranteed to be on the ballot this fall, CNN's Alisyn Camerota interviewed Jones on Thursday's New Day. Things quickly turned contentious: After playing a clip of Jones yelling that the "white majority" could no longer tolerate the "two-party, Jew-party, queer-party system," Camerota said, "Mr. Jones, it is shocking to hear how vocally and unapologetically racist you are." She then asked point-blank: "Are you a Nazi?"
Jones insisted it had been "15, 20 years" since he was affiliated with such groups "on a formal basis." "I don't call myself a Nazi," he said. "I call myself an American patriot and statesman."
Camerota calmly read off a list of damning facts in response. "You've been part of anti-Semitic groups since the 1970s, you go to neo-Nazi rallies … you were part of the White People's Party, you dress in Nazi garb, and you celebrate Hitler's birthday." She concluded: "You're a Nazi."
Jones reiterated that he does not belong to any "formal" Nazi-affiliated groups "anymore," before going on to claim that the Holocaust "is nothing but an international extortion racket by the Jews," which the "Israeli lobby" uses to drag the U.S. into wars in the Middle East. Camerota hit back: "Mr. Jones, 6 million Jews were killed. Adolf Hitler perpetrated a genocide. The Auschwitz death camp existed. And the Nuremburg trial happened. Those are the facts." Jones called Camerota's facts "poppycock."
Illinois' third district is deeply Democratic, so it's unlikely Jones will get anywhere near Capitol Hill. Still, watch him espouse his views below, if you can stomach it. Kelly O'Meara Morales
For the first time on TV, Dylan Farrow has spoken out about abuse allegations she made against her adoptive father, Woody Allen.
Farrow appeared Thursday on CBS This Morning in her first on-air interview about her allegation that Allen molested her when she was a child. Farrow first revealed the abuse in The New York Times in 2014 after it had been rumored for years. "I want to show my face and tell my story. I want to speak out literally," she told CBS's Gayle King.
Farrow told King that when she was 7 years old, Allen molested her while her mother, Mia Farrow, was out shopping. She described the incident in graphic detail: "He instructed me to lay down on my stomach and play with my brother's toy train that was set up. And he sat behind me in the doorway and as I played with the toy train, I was sexually assaulted." Farrow added, "As a 7-year-old, I would have said he touched my 'private parts,' which I did say. As a 32-year-old: He touched my labia and my vulva with his finger."
King pointed out that Allen has long maintained that Farrow's mother Mia manipulated her into making a false allegation. Farrow shot down the idea, saying, "What I don't understand is how is this crazy story of me being brainwashed and coached more believable than what I'm saying about being sexually assaulted by my father."
Allen has consistently denied Farrow's allegation. He wrote to CBS that the Farrows were "cynically using the opportunity afforded by the Time's Up movement to repeat this discredited allegation." Watch the full interview below. Kelly O'Meara Morales
MSNBC's Chris Matthews joked about giving Hillary Clinton a 'Bill Cosby pill' before he interviewed her in 2016
The Cut obtained background footage of Matthews preparing to interview Clinton on Jan. 5, 2016, inside a fire station in Iowa. The former secretary of state was appearing for a segment on his show, Hardball with Chris Matthews. In the clip, as a staffer pours him water, Matthews asks, "Where's that Bill Cosby pill I brought with me?"
The host then breaks into a satisfied smile as the man sitting across from him shakes his head and laughs. To the far-right of the frame, you can see a female staffer walk away, mouth agape after Matthews' remark.
In response to the story, Matthews told The Cut: "This was a terrible comment I made in poor taste during the height of the Bill Cosby headlines. I realize that's no excuse. I deeply regret it and I'm sorry." In December 2015, disgraced comedian Bill Cosby was charged with sexual assault after being accused of sexually assaulting more than 50 women and using drugs to render his victims unconscious.
Shortly after The Cut's story was published, The Daily Caller's Amber Athey said on Twitter that she'd talked to "six former employees and guests" at the network who said that "these types of comments were par for the course for Matthews." The Cut notes that the Matthews' distasteful joke is part of "a long history of [him] talking disparagingly about Hillary Clinton." Kelly O'Meara Morales
Avery Bradley, now a guard for the Detroit Pistons, allegedly assaulted a woman in Cleveland earlier this year while playing for the Boston Celtics. On May 23, Bradley's Celtics were in Ohio for a playoff game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, and after the game Bradley allegedly assaulted an unnamed woman, whom TMZ Sports described as a "reality star." The alleged victim claims she was too inebriated to consent.
TMZ Sports reported that Bradley and the alleged victim negotiated a civil settlement. Exactly how much Bradley paid the woman is not known, but TMZ Sports claimed that a settlement of as much as $400,000 was at least briefly considered. The settlement included a confidentiality agreement "to protect the reputation and privacy of Mr. Bradley and his family," Bradley's lawyer, Brian Wolf, told ESPN.
Wolf additionally emphasized to TMZ Sports that his client is innocent. "Mr. Bradley absolutely denies having engaged in wrongdoing whatsoever. The confidentiality agreement specifically refutes and denies the validity of all allegations of any wrongful conduct by Mr. Bradley," Wolf said.
The Boston Globe reported that the Celtics were unaware of any accusations against Bradley until TMZ Sports released its report early Friday. The Celtics traded Bradley to the Pistons in July; neither the Pistons nor the NBA have released any public statement on the allegations, ESPN reported. Kelly O'Meara Morales
In 2013, former Survivor winner Todd Herzog appeared on the Dr. Phil show and was so intoxicated that he was struggling to stand. During the interview, host Phillip McGraw — better known as Dr. Phil — said that he'd "never talked to a guest who was closer to death." But Herzog insisted to Stat that he was actually sober when he arrived to the Los Angeles set. Instead, he said, a bottle of vodka was waiting for him in his dressing room; battling alcoholism at the time, Herzog said he emptied its contents. Then, he told Stat, he was given a dose of anti-anxiety medication by an employee who said it would "calm his nerves."
Two other former guests claim that Dr. Phil staffers helped them procure drugs before the show. Marianne Smith, who accompanied her heroin-addicted niece to the show's set, told Stat that a show's producer suggested they acquire the drug in Los Angeles' Skid Row neighborhood after she raised concerns that her niece was experiencing withdrawal. In another instance, a show staffer reportedly accompanied and filmed a pregnant woman in withdrawal buying heroin after she could not receive detox treatment at a hospital; the footage was aired on Dr. Phil. A spokesman for the show told Stat that the staffer "simply documented the natural behavior she observed, which would have occurred whether she was there or not."
The spokesman, Martin Greenberg, initially told Stat that the show medically supervises all of its guests, but he backtracked that claim a week later. "We mean 100 percent of guests agreeing to treatment. It does not mean that a guest is being monitored 100 percent of the time," he said. "We cannot control what we cannot control."
Former Olympic gymnast McKayla Maroney filed a lawsuit in a California court Wednesday claiming that USA Gymnastics forced her into signing a nondisclosure agreement last year, NBC News reports. The NDA — which Maroney's lawyer called "hypocritical, immoral, and in this case illegal" — was reportedly part of a financial settlement over alleged sexual abuse by former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar.
The money Maroney received in the settlement was disbursed so she could receive psychological care after the abuse. The lawsuit claims Maroney is "gripped by depression and anxiety" as a result of the alleged mistreatment by Nassar, NBC News writes. Maroney's lawsuit also alleges that her NDA was part of a greater plan by USA Gymnastics to silence Nassar's victims and let him "quietly leave" the organization without public scrutiny.
In the state of California, NBC News notes, "victims of child sexual abuse cannot be forced to sign an NDA as a condition of a settlement."
Nassar — who has pleaded guilty to possession of child pornography and sexual assault charges — left USA Gymnastics in 2015, claiming he'd "retired" so he could run for a local school board position. Last September, The Indianapolis Star broke the story about allegations against Nassar, and The Washington Post reported earlier this year that USA Gymnastics contacted the FBI in July 2015 about Nassar's alleged sexual abuse.
In October, Maroney broke her silence, detailing abuse that occurred when she was as young as 13. Maroney announced that she was done competing in gymnastics in 2016, and her lawsuit claims that Nassar's abuse played a role in her departure. She is suing for millions of dollars in damages from Nassar, USA Gymnastics, the U.S. Olympic Committee, and Michigan State University, who continued to employ Nassar after several investigations into his alleged sexual misconduct.